101 has been introduced to help streamline & improve your access to the police, easing pressure & improving efficiency on the 999 service so it can effectively tackle crime & disorder.

When should you dial 101 instead of 999? 

101 should be dialed when reporting a crime or a concern that does not require an immediate emergency response. For example :

  • your property has been damaged
  • your car has been stolen
  • you suspect drug use or dealing in your area
  • report minor traffic collisions
  • give the police information about crime in your area
  • speak to the police about a general enquiry

Further details about dialling 101 can be found on police.uk