Above: Volunteer Belinda manning one of the Helpline desks in the Henfield Haven
- Jeremy's will temporarily reduce their opening times to Sat 8-2, Sunday closed, Mon-Fri 8-2.
- Henfield Community Partnership has updated its list of local shop opening hours and delivery details.
- Stagecoach has published its reduced timetable for the 17 Horsham-Brighton route. Basically, it's one bus an hour.
- Brighton Festival is cancelled and Brighton Dome is closed.
- To help you avoid cash transactions and maintain social distancing, you’ll be able to make contactless payments up to the value of £45 from 1st April. Retailers will be updating their ‘point of sale’ terminals over the coming weeks to accept this new limit.
The Henfield Helpline, set up only on Monday, has rapidly established itself as a necessary part of life. The Helpline, organised by the Parish Council and community organisations working together, has been massively busy taking calls from self-isolated people and delivering food and medicines.
Nominally, the Helpline operates 10am-4pm Monday-Friday but emergency messages will be picked up by volunteers over the weekend.
Volunteer Digby Stephenson, who helped to create the Helpline, said:
"Considering that the idea of the Henfield Helpline was only conceived a week ago a lot has happened in that time!
An office has been set up and equipped (mainly with borrowed equipment) and flyers distributed to (we hope) every household in the Henfield area.
As a result we have well over 200 volunteers on our database.
Many of these great Henfielders have already been linked with people in need of shopping, prescriptions, dog-walking or a friendly chat on the phone.
We will continue to make these connections for as long as the crisis continues.
Who knows – it might even result in some lasting friendships!"
Many people have benefitted from having their medical prescriptions picked up and delivered to their doorstep but the long queues at Lloyds and Henfield Medical Centre are still not ideal. The Helpline team is working with senior management at both dispensaries to alleviate the problem as their number one priority.
For all the news, stories and quick links to essential services and advice, visit our Coronavirus News page at the Henfield Hub.