Traditional games, races and fairground stalls kept the children busy and the adults entertained as Henfielders enjoyed the brilliant sunshine and celebrated the restoration of the Memorial Field. Local businesses and organisations provided a tempting range of food and drink.
The field was originally opened in 1950 to commemorate those who fell in the Second World War. Back then, a memorial stone was unveiled with the help of two pupils - Annette Parsons and Peter Collins - from the school.
Today, Parish Council Chairman, Malcolm Eastwood, led the unveiling ceremony at the stone, with two pupils from St Peter's School representing those who performed the role so many years back.
Happily, one of the original pupils - Annette (below centre) - was there to look on, along with Pat (below left), the brother of Peter.
The enjoyable afternoon was organised jointly by Henfield Parish Council and Henfield Community Partnership. And the field is already being put to good use, with the Henfield U15s winning their first match on the new pitch.
With thanks to Kenneth McIntosh for the pictures of the ceremony