The group is seeking to raise the awareness of the issues of Climate Change and provide information and support so that a greater understanding of how individual families and businesses in Henfield can play their part in ensuring we have a sustainable world for our future.
The world’s leading climate scientists have warned that we have until 2030 for global warming to be kept to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
In the UK The Climate Change Act (2008) made the UK the first country in the world to establish a long-term legally binding framework to cut carbon emissions with a target requiring emissions reductions of 80% by 2050. A wider legal landscape also exists, spanning the UK, the EU and globally, to address climate change, but it will take more than just legislation to ensure we tackle the problem. A combination of new technologies, processes and changing human behaviour will be needed in all parts of the world. Governments, businesses and individuals will all need to make rapid changes and our new local group hopes to help with this change at a supportive community level.
Sustainable Henfield 2030 will share ideas, produce information, hold meetings and assist people in understanding how they can play their part in reducing their carbon emissions. Come and visit us at the Henfield Summer Fayre on 13 July and help us shape how our community can play its part in ensuring that we provide a world fit for the future generations of all species living on the earth.
Notes for Editors
1. Scientists believe that the best way of achieving maintaining temperatures to 1.5-2C is by using renewable energy to generate 70 to 85 percent of electricity by 2050 compared with about 25 percent now.
2. Sea levels would be 10 cm lower than if the warming was 2C.
3. The likelihood of an Arctic Ocean free of sea ice in summer
would be once per century not at least once a decade.
4. Coral reefs would decline by 70-90 percent instead of being
virtually wiped out.
5. At the current level of commitments, the world is on course for a disastrous 3C of warming.
6. Sustainable Henfield 2030 will be looking at a range of Henfield based initiatives which will include carbon off-setting, car sharing schemes, local solar energy schemes, plastic awareness, food production, tree planting, etc, etc. Meetings with a wide range of community groups will be held on a regular basis.
If you would like to get involved, or need more information, please email